Archive

Archive for August 19th, 2019

New Poll Stacks President Donald Trump Against Previous Presidents | NBC News Now – NBC News

August 19th, 2019

Ebola kills boy aged 7 in DR Congo’s South Kivu – News24

August 19th, 2019

A child has died from Ebola in DR Congo’s South Kivu, health authorities said Monday, the second person to succumb to the virus since the epidemic spread to the eastern province.

The announcement last week of the first confirmed cases in South Kivu revived concerns that the highly contagious disease could cross the porous borders of the central African country, where it has claimed more than 1 900 lives since August last year.

“A seven-year-old child died yesterday (Sunday) of Ebola” in South Kivu’s Mwenga region, said Claude Bahizire, communication officer of South Kivu’s provincial health division.

The first death in South Kivu was a woman in her twenties who evaded movement controls to travel from the North Kivu town of Beni, the epicentre of the outbreak, to South Kivu’s capital Bukavu and then Mwenga.

She died on Wednesday, and her seven-month-old son has been diagnosed with the virus and is receiving treatment.

Bahizire said that “two other suspected cases, two women, have been detected and admitted to Bukavu’s transit centre”.

The two women “were in contact with the woman who died last week while she was staying in Bukavu on the way to Mwenga,” he added.

The outbreak of the haemorrhagic virus began in North Kivu on August 1, 2018 and spread to Ituri province.

According to the latest numbers published on Sunday, 1 934 people have since died, while 862 have been cured.

The latest outbreak is the second-deadliest on record after more than 11 000 people were killed in Guinea, Sierra Leone and Liberia between 2014-2016.

Also on Monday, World Health Organisation (WHO) chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus called on the nine countries that share a border with DR Congo to show solidarity to stop the spread of Ebola.

“We now have an Ebola vaccine that is more than 97% effective and treatments that are more than 90% effective if used early enough,” he said in Republic of Congo capital Brazzaville.

GET THE NEWS at your fingertips and download the News24 app for Android here now. Get it for your iPhone here.

KEEP UPDATED on the latest news by subscribing to our FREE newsletter. 

– FOLLOW News24 on Twitter

Uncategorized

Apple TV Plus to reportedly launch by November for about $10 per month – CNET

August 19th, 2019

‘We are so grateful’: Parents of rescued 4-year-old share story – CTV News

August 19th, 2019

The parents of a four-year-old B.C. boy who spent more than 30 hours alone in the wilderness say they can’t begin to thank the emergency crews and volunteers who banded together to bring their son home safely.

Over the weekend, Tykao Hazard and Kris Benoit spent more than 30 agonizing hours wondering what would become of their son George. The little boy disappeared from their van on Saturday while Hazard and a friend were picking berries near Lions Lake, outside the small northern community of Mackenzie.

The ensuing day was full of “fear, heartbreak and anxiety,” she told CTV News on Monday from the hospital where the boy is being kept.

But on Sunday before dark, a police helicopter spotted George in the woods and radioed for help.

“I collapsed right there when I heard,” Hazard said.

“I saw the helicopter coming in from outside town,” said Benoit. “I had this overwhelming sensation of calmness…I knew right then and there our boy was home.”

The child was cold and wet, but had suffered nothing more than some bumps and bruises. It was an outcome that stunned some of the first responders involved in the search effort. Cpl. Madonna Saunderson said the word “miraculous” is a fair description.

“There couldn’t have been a better outcome,” she said.

George’s parents said the ordeal has taught them something significant: That no matter how big or small your community, people look out for each other. They said the fact that 400 friends, neighbours and strangers turned out to search for their son proves it.

“We are so grateful… more grateful than words can ever express,” Hazard said.

“The only word that I can say, from the bottom of my heart… is thank you so much for finding out little boy,” Benoit added. “I’m never letting this little bugger out of my sight again.”

Mackenzie, which has a population of about 3,700, has fallen on hard times with mills closing and people losing their jobs according to Mayor Joan Atkinson.

But this weekend, she said, everyone put that setback behind them and dropped everything to help find George.

“It’s a clear demonstration how people in a small town, when we rally together, we get things done,” Atkinson said Monday while choking back tears of joy.

Residents are “beyond happy” that George has been found safe, she added.

“I am feeling relief, I am overjoyed,” Atkinson said.

Tamara Wiese, a friend of the family who volunteered in the search echoed Atikinson, wanted to thank everyone who brought rain gear, food, lights, and firewood to help keep warm.

“After I came home, I hugged my kids a little tighter,” Wiese said.

Missing boy

Android, Apache, bioinformatics, bitcoin mining, computers, Employment, ethereum mining, Linux, Marketing, Microsoft, skype, smartphone, software, tablet, TV, Video, visualizations

BC manhunt suspects left cellphone video before they died: family – Nelson Star

August 19th, 2019

Two B.C. suspects of a Canada-wide manhunt reportedly recorded a cellphone video before they died in the dense brush near Gillam, Man.

According to Star Vancouver, a family member said Kam McLeod, 19, and Bryer Schmegelsky, 18, of Port Alberni recorded the video and that police have shown a 30-second clip to the families of both men.

That clip was apparently a “goodbye”, and a last will and testament detailing the young men’s wishes for their remains.

The family member, who hadn’t seen the video clip, said police have the rest of the video.

The B.C. RCMP would not confirm whether there is a video, nor comment on the issue.

“We have committed to providing an update in a couple of weeks,” RCMP senior media relations officer Staff Sgt. Janelle Shoihet said. “We have yet to determine how and when that update will be provided, however I am unable to provide any details in advance.”

READ: RCMP confirm bodies found in Manitoba were B.C. fugitives

McLeod and Schmegelsky had been on the run for two weeks after they were declared suspects in the deaths of 64-year-old Leonard Dyck, a botany lecturer at UBC, and tourist couple Chynna Deese, 24, of North Carolina, and Lucas Fowler, 24, of Australia.

They had been charged with second degree murder in Dyck’s death. Police have not revealed the connection to the deaths of Deese and Fowler.

Police discovered McLeod’s and Schmegelsky’s bodies in the bush on Aug. 7. Police said there were two firearms found with the bodies and autopsies noted it appeared the men shot themselves.

The pair had been alive for “multiple” days after they had been declared suspects and spotted near Gillam, Man., where search efforts were concentrated.

A Port Alberni resident who spoke with the Alberni Valley News said he was on his way home to Port Alberni when he happened to stop in the store where McLeod and Schmegelsky purchased a hunting rifle before their trip.

“I watched as the clerk shared his expertise and advised on the best cartridges to use, matched a hunting rifle to their budgets and made the sale,” he said.

The information has since been shared with the RCMP, he added.



susie.quinn@albernivalleynews.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

Android, Apache, bioinformatics, bitcoin mining, computers, Employment, ethereum mining, Linux, Marketing, Microsoft, skype, smartphone, software, tablet, TV, Video, visualizations

Vehicles spraying Boston neighborhoods for mosquitoes after human EEE cases – WCVB Boston

August 19th, 2019

In the wake of two human cases of eastern equine encephalitis elsewhere in Massachusetts, the Boston Public Health Commission’s spray trucks will be hitting the road Monday night.Last week, DPH confirmed the first human case of EEE in Massachusetts in six years after a man older than 60 from southern Plymouth County tested positive. The man’s family said he is a resident of Rochester.The second case involved a man from Grafton, who was between the ages of 19 and 30, officials said.Mosquito spraying took place Monday night in Hyde Park and West Roxbury and spray truck swill move to East Boston Tuesday night. Spraying will be conducted in neighborhoods located near Orient Heights including streets in the vicinity of Orient Avenue, Boardman Street, Andrew Road and Horace Street. If spraying is postponed, it will be rescheduled for Thursday.Other communities are also taking measures against mosquitoes. Ground spraying occurred overnight in Dartmouth, Easton, Somerset, Taunton and Westport. The Town of Andover will spray for mosquitoes in the area of Abbot Street between 8 p.m. and 11 p.m. Tuesday. The area is bounded by Andover Street, Woburn Street, Spring Grove Road, Abbot Street, Eastman Road and Abbot Bridge Drive. If there is inclement weather, spraying will be postponed until Wednesday.Andover officials said they are planning to spray town-owned athletic fields on Friday with fields re-opening to the public the next day.Nineteen Massachusetts communities, not including Boston, are considered to be at a “critical risk” for EEE, according to the Massachusetts Department of Public Health. Eastern equine encephalitis is a rare but serious and potentially fatal disease that can affect people of all ages. The EEE virus has been found in 288 mosquito samples this year, many of them from a species of mosquito capable of spreading the virus to people.The most recent EEE outbreak periods in Massachusetts occurred from 2004-06 and 2010-12. According to the DPH, there were 22 human cases of EEE infection during those two outbreak periods, with 14 cases occurring among residents of Bristol and Plymouth counties.

In the wake of two human cases of eastern equine encephalitis elsewhere in Massachusetts, the Boston Public Health Commission’s spray trucks will be hitting the road Monday night.

Last week, DPH confirmed the first human case of EEE in Massachusetts in six years after a man older than 60 from southern Plymouth County tested positive. The man’s family said he is a resident of Rochester.

Advertisement

The second case involved a man from Grafton, who was between the ages of 19 and 30, officials said.

Mosquito spraying took place Monday night in Hyde Park and West Roxbury and spray truck swill move to East Boston Tuesday night.

Spraying will be conducted in neighborhoods located near Orient Heights including streets in the vicinity of Orient Avenue, Boardman Street, Andrew Road and Horace Street. If spraying is postponed, it will be rescheduled for Thursday.

Other communities are also taking measures against mosquitoes. Ground spraying occurred overnight in Dartmouth, Easton, Somerset, Taunton and Westport.

The Town of Andover will spray for mosquitoes in the area of Abbot Street between 8 p.m. and 11 p.m. Tuesday. The area is bounded by Andover Street, Woburn Street, Spring Grove Road, Abbot Street, Eastman Road and Abbot Bridge Drive. If there is inclement weather, spraying will be postponed until Wednesday.

Andover officials said they are planning to spray town-owned athletic fields on Friday with fields re-opening to the public the next day.

Nineteen Massachusetts communities, not including Boston, are considered to be at a “critical risk” for EEE, according to the Massachusetts Department of Public Health.

Eastern equine encephalitis is a rare but serious and potentially fatal disease that can affect people of all ages. The EEE virus has been found in 288 mosquito samples this year, many of them from a species of mosquito capable of spreading the virus to people.

The most recent EEE outbreak periods in Massachusetts occurred from 2004-06 and 2010-12. According to the DPH, there were 22 human cases of EEE infection during those two outbreak periods, with 14 cases occurring among residents of Bristol and Plymouth counties.

Uncategorized

No cap on ride hailing fleet sizes, says Passenger Transportation Board – CBC.ca

August 19th, 2019

The Passenger Transportation Board announced Monday there will be no initial limits on fleet size for ride-hailing companies, but a cap could be imposed later if congestion becomes an issue. 

In a teleconference call, board chair Catherine Read said with the Class 4 licence requirement, it could take transportation network services, like Uber and Lyft, time to build up their fleets. 

She says the PTB will set the minimum rate a transportation network service may charge based on taxi flag rates, explaining that the base rate for most taxis is between $3.25 to $3.95 and that will also be the minimum rate ride-hailing companies can charge. 

“If a passenger thinks the fare is too high, they can take a taxi or alternative transportation,” Read said in the teleconference. 

Ride hailing companies will also have larger operating areas.

The Lower Mainland-Whistler region will include all of Metro Vancouver, the Fraser Valley and Squamish-Lillooet.

She said it’s required under their business model because there’s a large pool of drivers and passengers who use an app to set and collect fares. 

Read said this is something suburban taxi companies based in Surrey and the rest of Metro Vancouver aren’t pleased with.

“They’re not happy with it because they’re restricted to their existing boundaries,” Read said. 

In a statement, Lyft B.C. general manager Peter Lukomskyj, said while the company appreciates the PTB establishing municipal boundaries, it is still disappointed the regulations didn’t establish similar all-province boundaries.

“Our vision is to one day offer our proven transportation network throughout the province, but the Class 4 commercial licensing requirement will make it more difficult for us to deliver the reliable ridesharing service B.C. residents have been requesting for years,” said Lukomskyj. 

A passenger tries to hail an Uber in downtown Vancouver. The ride-hailing service is scheduled to be available in B.C. beginning in September. (Maryse Zeidler/CBC)

Rideshare Now B.C. spokesperson Ian Tostenson said these rules are a step in the right direction, because the companies wouldn’t be able to operate otherwise. 

“What we know from our research is that the consumer wants the convenience, and they’re quite happy with the same reference price as taxis. They just want to be able to get a ride. That’s the most important thing,” said Tostenson over the phone. 

Other rules implemented by the PTB include ride hailing companies operating in Vancouver not being allowed to pick up passengers in the immediate vicinity around Canada Place on cruise ship days. 

Lukomskyj said the company is pleased that large geographic regions were taken into account.”

“We are committed to B.C. and will continue to work with the PTB and the Province to create the conditions for us to bring Lyft to the Lower Mainland before the end of the year and to more regions throughout B.C. in the future.”

The CBC reached out to Uber but it is not commenting and said it is taking time to review the PTB regulations. 

Legislation will come into effect Sept. 3, 2019, when the board will begin to accept applications. The remaining parts of the act come into effect Sept. 16.

Android, Apache, bioinformatics, bitcoin mining, computers, Employment, ethereum mining, Linux, Marketing, Microsoft, skype, smartphone, software, tablet, TV, Video, visualizations

BC manhunt suspects left cellphone video before they died: family – Williams Lake Tribune

August 19th, 2019

Two B.C. suspects of a Canada-wide manhunt reportedly recorded a cellphone video before they died in the dense brush near Gillam, Man.

According to Star Vancouver, a family member said Kam McLeod, 19, and Bryer Schmegelsky, 18, of Port Alberni recorded the video and that police have shown a 30-second clip to the families of both men.

That clip was apparently a “goodbye”, and a last will and testament detailing the young men’s wishes for their remains.

The family member, who hadn’t seen the video clip, said police have the rest of the video.

The B.C. RCMP would not confirm whether there is a video, nor comment on the issue.

“We have committed to providing an update in a couple of weeks,” RCMP senior media relations officer Staff Sgt. Janelle Shoihet said. “We have yet to determine how and when that update will be provided, however I am unable to provide any details in advance.”

READ: RCMP confirm bodies found in Manitoba were B.C. fugitives

McLeod and Schmegelsky had been on the run for two weeks after they were declared suspects in the deaths of 64-year-old Leonard Dyck, a botany lecturer at UBC, and tourist couple Chynna Deese, 24, of North Carolina, and Lucas Fowler, 24, of Australia.

They had been charged with second degree murder in Dyck’s death. Police have not revealed the connection to the deaths of Deese and Fowler.

Police discovered McLeod’s and Schmegelsky’s bodies in the bush on Aug. 7. Police said there were two firearms found with the bodies and autopsies noted it appeared the men shot themselves.

The pair had been alive for “multiple” days after they had been declared suspects and spotted near Gillam, Man., where search efforts were concentrated.

A Port Alberni resident who spoke with the Alberni Valley News said he was on his way home to Port Alberni when he happened to stop in the store where McLeod and Schmegelsky purchased a hunting rifle before their trip.

“I watched as the clerk shared his expertise and advised on the best cartridges to use, matched a hunting rifle to their budgets and made the sale,” he said.

The information has since been shared with the RCMP, he added.



susie.quinn@albernivalleynews.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

Android, Apache, bioinformatics, bitcoin mining, computers, Employment, ethereum mining, Linux, Marketing, Microsoft, skype, smartphone, software, tablet, TV, Video, visualizations

U.S. president tweets pic of Trump Tower looming over Greenland – CTV News

August 19th, 2019

WASHINGTON – U.S. President Donald Trump is making light of his own idea of buying Greenland from Denmark, tweeting a doctored photo of Trump Tower looming over a small village in the Arctic territory.

Trump jokes on Twitter, “I promise not to do this to Greenland!”

Trump acknowledged Sunday that he is “strategically” interested in such a deal, but said it’s not a priority of his administration. He told reporters, “It’s not No. 1 on the burner.”

Danish Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen has said Greenland is not for sale and Trump’s idea of buying it is “an absurd discussion.”

Android, Apache, bioinformatics, bitcoin mining, computers, Employment, ethereum mining, Linux, Marketing, Microsoft, skype, smartphone, software, tablet, TV, Video, visualizations

Soapbox: In Defence of Death Stranding – Push Square

August 19th, 2019