Archive

Archive for September 24th, 2019

New music platform Audius plans to capitalize on SoundCloud’s faults – Engadget

September 24th, 2019

New music platform Audius plans to capitalize on SoundCloud’s faults  Engadget

A new streaming *service*, Audius, wants to make up for SoundCloud’s shortcomings. The free hosting *service* and music streaming platform launched today, and …

Microsoft, software

OC6: Mark Zuckerberg Teases Finger Tracking For Keynote – UploadVR

September 24th, 2019

Ontario neurologist accused of sexually assaulting 34 female patients – CityNews

September 24th, 2019

An Ontario neurologist stripped of his licence earlier this year was charged Tuesday with sexually assaulting 34 female patients in his care.

Waterloo regional police said the charges against Dr. Jeffrey Sloka relate to alleged incidents between January 2010 and February 2017 that involved patients ranging in age from 17 to 51.

The investigation into Sloka remains active following his arrest on Tuesday, Const. Andre Johnson said, adding police suspect there may be more alleged victims.

“We take any sexual assault very seriously,” Johnson said. “One of this nature, given the amount of victims and someone in a position of trust is a concern.”

The Ontario College of Physicians and Surgeons revoked Sloka’s licence in April after its disciplinary committee found the neurologist had sexually abused four patients and engaged in “disgraceful conduct” over the course of nearly a decade.

The committee said Sloka asked the patients to strip naked for physical exams and touched them inappropriately at times.

According to an uncontested statement of facts in the disciplinary case, Sloka’s behaviour towards the women was “of a sexual nature and not of a clinical nature.”

The document said that in one of the cases, Sloka removed a patient’s gown during an appointment and examined her with his face close to her body while squeezing and pushing her breasts.

“Patients are at their most vulnerable in the examination room, where they rely on doctor’s expertise and professionalism when it comes to being physically touched or directed to undress,” the college’s prosecutor, Morgana Kellythorne, told the discipline committee in her submissions in April.

“These patients were exploited and deceived by Dr. Sloka for his own sexual purposes. They turned to him seeking help for their medical needs and he preyed on them.”

In addition to revoking his licence, the College ordered Sloka to pay more than $64,000 for the victims’ therapy expenses, plus $6,000 for the cost of the hearing.

Sloka also signed a document agreeing that he would never again apply to practice medicine in Ontario or any other jurisdiction.

College spokesman Shae Greenfield said there were 22 additional investigations into Sloka underway when his licence was revoked.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Sept. 24, 2019.

An Ontario neurologist stripped of his licence earlier this year was charged Tuesday with sexually assaulting 34 female patients in his care.

Waterloo regional police said the charges against Dr. Jeffrey Sloka relate to alleged incidents between January 2010 and February 2017 that involved patients ranging in age from 17 to 51.

The investigation into Sloka remains active following his arrest on Tuesday, Const. Andre Johnson said, adding police suspect there may be more alleged victims.

“We take any sexual assault very seriously,” Johnson said. “One of this nature, given the amount of victims and someone in a position of trust is a concern.”

The Ontario College of Physicians and Surgeons revoked Sloka’s licence in April after its disciplinary committee found the neurologist had sexually abused four patients and engaged in “disgraceful conduct” over the course of nearly a decade.

The committee said Sloka asked the patients to strip naked for physical exams and touched them inappropriately at times.

According to an uncontested statement of facts in the disciplinary case, Sloka’s behaviour towards the women was “of a sexual nature and not of a clinical nature.”

The document said that in one of the cases, Sloka removed a patient’s gown during an appointment and examined her with his face close to her body while squeezing and pushing her breasts.

“Patients are at their most vulnerable in the examination room, where they rely on doctor’s expertise and professionalism when it comes to being physically touched or directed to undress,” the college’s prosecutor, Morgana Kellythorne, told the discipline committee in her submissions in April.

“These patients were exploited and deceived by Dr. Sloka for his own sexual purposes. They turned to him seeking help for their medical needs and he preyed on them.”

In addition to revoking his licence, the College ordered Sloka to pay more than $64,000 for the victims’ therapy expenses, plus $6,000 for the cost of the hearing.

Sloka also signed a document agreeing that he would never again apply to practice medicine in Ontario or any other jurisdiction.

College spokesman Shae Greenfield said there were 22 additional investigations into Sloka underway when his licence was revoked.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Sept. 24, 2019.

Android, Apache, bioinformatics, bitcoin mining, computers, Employment, ethereum mining, Linux, Marketing, Microsoft, skype, smartphone, software, tablet, TV, Video, visualizations

Parliament: MPs and peers return after court rules shutdown unlawful – BBC News

September 24th, 2019

Media playback is unsupported on your device

Media captionBrexit: What happened after Supreme Court verdict?

MPs and peers will return to Parliament later after the Supreme Court ruled that its suspension was unlawful.

Boris Johnson is returning early from a UN summit in New York, while Labour cut its conference short in the wake of Tuesday’s unanimous ruling.

The PM, who has faced calls to resign, has said he “profoundly disagreed” with the decision but would respect it.

Commons Speaker John Bercow has said there will be “full scope” for urgent questions and ministerial statements.

On Tuesday, the court ruled it was impossible to conclude there had been any reason – “let alone a good reason” – to advise the Queen to prorogue Parliament for five weeks in the run-up to the Brexit deadline of 31 October.

Mr Johnson, who was attending the UN General Assembly in New York, spoke to the Queen after the ruling, a senior government official said, although no details of the conversation have been revealed.

The prime minister also chaired a 30-minute phone call with his cabinet.

A source told the BBC the Leader of the Commons, Jacob Rees-Mogg, said to cabinet ministers on the call that the action by the court had amounted to a “constitutional coup”.

What will the PM do now?

“He has completely lost control of the process.”

That’s how one of the prime minister’s cabinet colleagues summed up Boris Johnson’s position as he flies back to face Parliament.

Mr Johnson’s likely to end up at the despatch box on Wednesday, where he will have the rulings of the Supreme Court brandished at him.

The opposition parties calling on him to quit. A flurry of urgent demands for the government to answer questions about its plans for Brexit. And all that before the profound embarrassment of having been found to have broken the law.

Downing Street at this stage seems to have no intention of doing anything other than toughing this out.

Read more.

Media playback is unsupported on your device

Media captionBoris Johnson: “This is a verdict that we will respect”

Speaking after the ruling, Mr Johnson insisted the suspension of Parliament had been necessary in order for him to bring forward a Queen’s Speech on 14 October outlining his government’s policies.

But critics said he was trying to stop MPs scrutinising his Brexit plans and the suspension was far longer than necessary.

Addressing the UN General Assembly, Mr Johnson compared the Brexit impasse to the myth of Prometheus.

Referring to how the Titan’s liver was pecked out by an eagle, he said: “And this went on forever.

“A bit like the experience of Brexit in the UK, if some of our Parliamentarians had their way.”

Earlier, the prime minister said he “refused to be deterred” from getting on with “an exciting and dynamic domestic agenda” and to do that he would need a Queen’s Speech.

The court ruling does not prevent him from proroguing again in order to hold one, as long as it does not stop Parliament carrying out its duties “without reasonable justification”.

A No 10 source said the Supreme Court had “made a serious mistake in extending its reach to these political matters” and had “made it clear that its reasons [were] connected to the Parliamentary disputes over, and timetable for” Brexit.

But Supreme Court president Lady Hale emphasised in the ruling that the case was “not about when and on what terms” the UK left the EU – it was about the decision to suspend Parliament.

Media playback is unsupported on your device

Media captionThe Supreme Court declared “Parliament has not been prorogued”

The Supreme Court’s ruling led Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn to bring forward his speech at the party’s conference in Brighton from Wednesday to Tuesday so that he could return to Westminster.

Speaking to a crowd of cheering delegates, Mr Corbyn said: “The government will be held to account for what it has done. Boris Johnson has been found to have misled the country. This unelected prime minister should now resign.”

The calls for Mr Johnson to resign were echoed by Scotland’s First Minister, the SNP’s Nicola Sturgeon, Wales’ First Minister, Labour’s Mark Drakeford, and Sinn Fein’s vice president, Michelle O’Neill.

Downing Street has insisted there is no question of him standing aside.

And Mr Johnson was backed by US President Donald Trump at a joint press conference at the UN summit.

“I’ll tell you, I know him well, he’s not going anywhere,” said Mr Trump, after a US reporter quizzed the prime minister on whether he was going to resign.

Media playback is unsupported on your device

Media captionDonald Trump: Boris Johnson “is not going anywhere”

What questions do you have about the Supreme Court’s decision?

Use this form to ask your question:

If you are reading this page on the BBC News app, you will need to visit the mobile version of the BBC website to submit your question on this topic.

Android, Apache, bioinformatics, bitcoin mining, computers, Employment, ethereum mining, Linux, Marketing, Microsoft, skype, smartphone, software, tablet, TV, Video, visualizations

Woman diagnosed with ‘broken heart syndrome’ mistook wasabi for avocado – WKYT

September 24th, 2019

(Gray News) – Although rare, it’s not unheard of for the human heart to experience takotsubo cardiomyopathy, better known as broken heart syndrome, after extreme emotional stress.

The death of a spouse, loss of a pet or even experiencing a bad car wreck can trigger the temporary disruption of the heart’s regular pumping function.

According to a study published by BMJ Case Reports 2019, we can now add food consumption to that list. An elderly Israeli woman ate a large amount of what she thought was avocado dip at a wedding.

In reality, it was wasabi paste. Those who partake in Japanese cuisine understand that wasabi is notoriously spicy.

Just minutes after eating it, the woman felt a sudden pressure in her chest, which later moved down her arms. Even so, she toughed it out and stayed at the wedding.

The next morning, however, she knew something was seriously wrong. When she woke up, she felt weak and uncomfortable.

It was time to find a physician.

Doctors diagnosed her with broken heart syndrome after performing an electrocardiogram. IFL Science reports the symptoms can feel similar to that of a heart attack.

Copyright 2019 Gray Media Group, Inc. All rights reserved.

Uncategorized

Apple rolls out iOS 13.1 to squash urgent bugs and add new features – TechRadar

September 24th, 2019

You Can Now Download Mario Kart Tour for iOS in Canada Ahead of Launch – iPhone in Canada

September 24th, 2019

Mario kart tour ios

Apple has notified customers their pre-orders of Mario Kart Tour for iOS are now available for download, ahead of the highly anticipated game’s September 25, 2019, launch.

Push notifications were sent to iOS devices just minutes ago noting, “Your pre-order of Mario Kart Tour is now available.”

Mario kart tour ios

Along with the notification, an email was sent out to iOS customers:

The item you pre-ordered, Mario Kart Tour by Nintendo Co., Ltd., is now available. If you have set your iTunes preferences to automatically download prepurchased content, this item may already be in your library.

This item is already available on any computer or device for which you have enabled Automatic Downloads. If you have not enabled Automatic Downloads, you can download this item now from your Purchased page in iTunes.


While you can download Mario Kart Tour for iOS, you cannot play it yet. Launching the game shows a splash screen indicating the title won’t launch until September 25, 2019.

Mario kart tour maintenance

Mario Kart Tour is free to play but powered by in-app purchases. Users can buy “Rubies” ranging from $2.79 CAD for one, all the way up to $99 CAD for 135. That’s it, I’m sticking to Apple Arcade.

Nintendo announced back in August Mario Kart Tour would launch on September 25 for iOS and Android.

Click here to download Mario Kart Tour for iOS in the App Store.

Android, Apache, bioinformatics, bitcoin mining, computers, Employment, ethereum mining, Linux, Marketing, Microsoft, skype, smartphone, software, tablet, TV, Video, visualizations

Ashton Kutcher Seemingly Reacts To Demi Moore’s Dramatic Memoir & Cheating Accusations – Hollywood Life

September 24th, 2019

Ashton Kutcher took to Twitter on Sept. 24 to post a cryptic tweet that has some people thinking that he’s finally reacting to his ex Demi Moore’s tell-all memoir about the struggles in their marriage.

Ashton Kutcher, 41, got major attention on Sept. 24 when he posted a headline-making tweet that may have been referring to his 56-year-old ex Demi Moore‘s new memoir Inside Out. The actor’s tweet was cryptic but since the memoir has recently been gaining momentum for the shocking information Demi revealed, including the accusation that he cheated on her during their marriage, the timing of it seemed to indicate it was about the situation.

“I was about to push the button on a really snarky tweet. Then I saw my son, daughter, and wife and I deleted it,” the tweet read along with a heart emoji. If his almost tweet was indeed a big clapback towards Demi, family would very well be a reason not to do it. The That ’70s Show star is now married to his former co-star Mila Kunis, 36, with whom he shares daughter Wyatt, 4, and son Dimitri, 2, so we can understand if they’re his top priority.

Before he got into a relationship and eventually married Mila, Ashton was married to Demi from 2005 until 2013. In addition to revealing Ashton allegedly cheated with Pilates instructor Sara Leal, who also publicly claimed they had the affair, she spilled the beans about how he allegedly asked her if they could have a threesome, which she agreed to. “I wanted to show him how great and fun I could be,” she explained in the book and admitted she thinks it was a “mistake”. She also wrote that she got pregnant with Ashton’s baby shortly after they started dating in 2003, but she had a miscarriage at six months.

Ashton has yet to speak publicly about the claims but Demi insisted she spoke with him about the book before it was released during her Sept. 24 appearance on The Ellen DeGeneres Show, but she didn’t go into details about the conversation.

Uncategorized

‘Unacceptable’: Freeland responds to appointment of honorary Syrian consul who supports Assad – CTV News

September 24th, 2019

Foreign Affairs Minister Chrystia Freeland says it is “unacceptable” that Global Affairs Canada signed off on a sympathizer of Syrian President Bashar Assad as that country’s honorary consul in Montreal, and she is promising the government will look into the appointment.

Montreal businessman Waseem Ramli’s support for Assad is no surprise to anyone who has seen his car — Ramli drives around in a Humvee with Assad’s face and the country’s flag emblazoned on it.

Assad’s regime has been accused of war crimes, including the slaughter of children and using chemical weapons on his own people in Syria’s civil war. A report published in Maclean’s quoted Ramli as saying that a volunteer group of rescue workers operating in Syria’s war zone, the White Helmets, are a “terrorist organization” who “support al-Qaeda.”

Ramli told CTV News over the phone that he has “not seen any wrongdoing from my president towards the country.”

The beginnings of the Syrian civil war can be tracked back to 2011, when a group of students spray-painted an anti-government remark on the side of their school. Syrian troops captured and tortured the perpetrators, including teenagers. When peaceful protesters gathered to call for the release of the detainees, Syrian troops opened fire on the crowd.

In a separate interview with CTV Montreal, Ramli said, “I do see the country going forward, therefore I do support (Assad), yes.”

Among Ramli’s duties as an honorary consul in Montreal would be authenticating records such as birth certificates for the Syrian diaspora in Eastern Canada and much of the United States. This includes the tens of thousands of Syrians who sought refuge in Canada from the bloody civil war between rebels and Assad’s government forces that has been raging for almost a decade.

“Let them come, let them see how we’re going to be treating everybody, then judge me,” Ramli told CTV News.

Ramli was nominated for the position of honorary consul, an unpaid position, by the Syrian government, and his appointment was approved last month. He has a photo of himself with Assad displayed prominently on his Facebook page.

A photo of him posing at a June Liberal fundraiser with Justin Trudeau has also emerged, generating questions for the Liberal leader.

Speaking on the campaign trail, Trudeau said, “we are quite seized with this issue.”

“I have personally spoken with Minister Freeland this morning, who has assured me that she is looking very carefully into how this has happened,” he added.

Freeland told reporters that the “situation is unacceptable. And we intend to respond fully to it very promptly.” She had previously posted on Twitter that she was “shocked” by Ramli’s comments and the views “he has espoused publicly on social media and elsewhere.”

The news of Ramli’s appointment has struck fear into many in the Syrian Montreal community.

One woman, who works with Syrian refugees, spoke to CTV News under a condition of anonymity, afraid of retribution from Assad supporters.

“We fled to Canada and now Canada is … supporting that person who is representing openly and defending openly the butcher,” she said. “We are frustrated.”

She said that she understood that someone appointed to the position by the Syrian government would likely “be pro-regime, but someone that bad?”

Ramli is set to take the office next month.

Android, Apache, bioinformatics, bitcoin mining, computers, Employment, ethereum mining, Linux, Marketing, Microsoft, skype, smartphone, software, tablet, TV, Video, visualizations

‘Quantum Supremacy’ Is Here, According to Mysterious Google Claims – ScienceAlert

September 24th, 2019