Archive

Archive for January 16th, 2020

Grammys CEO Deborah Dugan placed on ‘administrative leave’ following misconduct allegation – USA TODAY

January 16th, 2020

The Recording Academy is without a president just 10 days ahead of the 62nd Grammy Awards.

Recording Academy President and CEO Deborah Dugan has been placed on “administrative leave” after six months on the job following a misconduct allegation, the Academy confirmed to USA TODAY in a statement provided by Lourdes Lopez.

“In light of concerns raised to the Recording Academy Board of Trustees, including a formal allegation of misconduct by a senior female member of the Recording Academy team, the Board has placed … Deborah Dugan on administrative leave, effective immediately,” the statement reads.  

Grammy nominations:Lizzo leads, Billie Eilish makes history, and ‘Old Town Road’ scores

Recording Academy president and CEO Deborah Dugan speaks during the 62nd Grammy Awards Nominations Conference on November 20, 2019 in New York City.

In August, Dugan became the first woman to lead the Recording Academy, replacing longtime head Neil Portnow, who in 2018 suggested female artists should “step up” if they wanted to be recognized in the music industry. Dugan previously served as the CEO of Bono’s (RED) organization.

Board Chair Harvey Mason Jr.,  a music producer who has worked with Chris Brown, Jennifer Hudson and more, will serve as interim president while the allegations are investigated by two independent third-parties. 

“The Board determined this action to be necessary in order to restore the confidence of the Recording Academy’s Membership, repair Recording Academy employee morale, and allow the Recording Academy to focus on its mission of serving all music creators,” the statement said. 

The Recording Academy added that the “Board of Trustees is committed to fostering a safe, diverse, and inclusive workplace, music industry, and society.”

Grammy snubs 2020: Taylor Swift, Bruce Springsteen miss out on major nominations

The 2020 Grammy Awards will be broadcast live on CBS from Los Angeles’ Staples Center on Jan. 26. The ceremony will again be hosted by Alicia Keys. 

This year’s Grammys are set to feature performances by Ariana Grande, Billie Eilish, Demi Lovato, Aerosmith, Bonnie Raitt, Tyler, the Creator, Run-DMC, Rosalía, H.E.R. and Lizzo, who is the top nominee with eight.

2020 Grammy nominations:See the complete list of artists up for an award

Uncategorized

Apple may have to abandon Lightning connector cable – BBC News

January 16th, 2020

Lyft’s autonomous vehicle partner Magna is done with self-driving tech – Engadget

January 16th, 2020

What security for Harry and Meghan might look like – CBC News: The National

January 16th, 2020

Prince Harry and his wife Meghan would have similar security needs to the prime minister and a new survey shows Canadians aren’t keen to cover those costs.

Welcome to The National, the flagship nightly newscast of CBC News

»»» Subscribe to The National to watch more videos here: https://www.youtube.com/user/CBCTheNa…

Voice Your Opinion & Connect With Us Online:

The National Updates on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thenational
The National Updates on Twitter: https://twitter.com/CBCTheNational
»»» »»» »»» »»» »»»
The National is CBC Television’s flagship news program. Airing six days a week, the show delivers news, feature documentaries and analysis from some of Canada’s leading journalists.

Android, Apache, bioinformatics, bitcoin mining, computers, Employment, ethereum mining, Linux, Marketing, Microsoft, skype, smartphone, software, tablet, TV, Video, visualizations

Meghan Markle Was ‘Extremely Kind’ At Justice For Girls Visit, Non-Profit Co-Director Says – Access

January 16th, 2020

Meghan Markle made her second charitable visit of the week in Canada at Justice For Girls in Vancouver. “We spoke for about an hour and a half and had a really great roundtable discussion about the important work and issues that Justice For Girls focuses on, including girls’ rights,” Justice For Girls co-director Zoë Craig-Sparrow told Access Hollywood of the visit. “She was extremely kind, and what struck us was that she was really knowledgeable of all the issues that we discussed. She put us all at ease. She was very casual, but at the same time, we were talking about really important issues.” Meanwhile, back in the United Kingdom, Prince Harry made his first official public appearance since he and Meghan announced that they’re scaling back their royal duties.

» SUBSCRIBE: http://bit.ly/AHSub
» Visit Our Website: http://www.AccessOnline.com/

Get More Access:
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/accessonline
Twitter: https://twitter.com/accessonline
Instagram: http://instagram.com/accessonline
Snapchat: OfficialAccess

#AccessHollywood
#Royals
#MeghanMarkle
#PrinceHarry

Android, Apache, bioinformatics, bitcoin mining, computers, Employment, ethereum mining, Linux, Marketing, Microsoft, skype, smartphone, software, tablet, TV, Video, visualizations

Deborah Dugan, Recording Academy CEO, Ousted the Week Before Grammys 2020 – Pitchfork

January 16th, 2020

Deborah Dugan, the Recording Academy president and CEO who took over for Neil Portnow last August, has been placed on administrative leave amid an investigation into misconduct allegations. The news comes just a week prior to this year’s Grammy Awards, which take place on Sunday, January 26. The Recording Academy confirmed the news in a statement (via Variety):

In light of concerns raised to the Recording Academy Board of
Trustees, including a formal allegation of misconduct by a senior
female member of the Recording Academy team, the Board has placed
Recording Academy President and CEO Deborah Dugan on administrative
leave, effective immediately. The Board has also retained two
independent third-party investigators to conduct independent
investigations of the allegations.

The Board determined this action to be necessary in order to restore
the confidence of the Recording Academy’s Membership, repair Recording
Academy employee morale, and allow the Recording Academy to focus on
its mission of serving all music creators. Board Chair Harvey Mason
Jr. will serve as interim President and CEO pending the conclusion of
the investigation.

The Recording Academy Board of Trustees is committed to fostering a
safe, diverse, and inclusive workplace, music industry, and society.

Pitchfork has reached out to the Recording Academy for further comment.

Dugan was the CEO of the Bono-founded nonprofit AIDS organization (RED) before coming to Recording Academy. She stepped into a role vacated by Portnow, who resigned amid an outcry from multiple female artists including Vanessa Carlton and Fiona Apple. He stirred controversy with comments after the 2018 Grammy Awards when he said women should “step up” if they want to be successful in the industry.

In an interview she gave shortly after she stepped into the Recording Academy job, she gave an interview saying she was excited to “bring new perspective” to the organization. “I want to look at the Recording Academy and hopefully bring positive change,” she said. “I intended to do everything I can to make the Recording Academy, the entertainment industry and our society more inclusive and equitable.”

Earlier today, the Los Angeles Times ran a profile on Dugan with music industry accolades from executives at Warner Records and Capitol Music Group. She discussed her interest in “complete transparency” for the Grammy nomination process and discussed calling Public Enemy to offer them a lifetime achievement award.

Dugan also said she wasn’t planning to be on camera at this year’s Grammys. “I’m not in favor that after an hour and a half, somebody comes out and gives a Recording Academy spiel,” she said. “I won’t be there unless there’s something important for me to say to the 22 million people watching.”

Follow all of Pitchfork’s coverage of the 2020 Grammys.

This article was originally published on January 16 at 10:46 p.m. Eastern. It was last updated at 11:26 p.m. Eastern.

Uncategorized

NPD Shares US Software Sales For Last Month, 2019 And The Decade – Nintendo Life

January 16th, 2020

Yosemite national park: 170 recent visitors suffer norovirus symptoms – The Guardian

January 16th, 2020

Roughly 170 people who have visited Yosemite national park in recent weeks have suffered upset stomachs and diarrhea, symptoms that park officials say are consistent with norovirus.

Two of those cases have been confirmed as norovirus, park officials say. The park spokesman Scott Gediman issued a written statement that most of those who fell ill had spent time in Yosemite Valley around the first week of January.

The San Francisco Chronicle reported last week that a dozen recent park visitors reported illnesses, triggering widespread inspections of the park’s food service and hotel facilities from federal health officials.

Norovirus is a contagious stomach illness that’s spread by contact with those infected or contaminated surfaces, according to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The spokesman said the park was undertaking “extensive cleaning and enhanced sanitation protocols” to address the outbreak.

In 2017, roughly 190 students from Santa Monica were reported to have been infected with norovirus after taking a trip to Yosemite. And in 2012, an outbreak of hantavirus, which is spread mostly by rodents, infected 10 people and killed three.

The recent reports of norovirus are the latest in a rash of problems and bad publicity at California’s famous national park, which receives millions of annual visitors.

Last year, complaints and bad reviews stacked up from visitors who were unhappy with food and the long waits for shuttle services. This year, inspectors revoked the prestigious four-star rating for the park’s once-lustrous Ahwahnee Hotel after guests complained of bad food and shabby service, the Chronicle reported.

The food and shuttle services, as well as the hotel, are operated by Aramark, a Philadelphia-based company valued at $140m annually.

Uncategorized

11 American troops injured in early January Iranian missile attack in Iraq: U.S. military – Global News

January 16th, 2020

The United States treated 11 of its troops for symptoms of concussion after an Iranian missile attack on an Iraqi base where U.S. forces were stationed, the U.S. military said on Thursday, after initially saying no service members were hurt.

READ MORE: U.S. military resumes operations against Islamic State in Iraq: officials

0:47Troops survey damage from missile strike on U.S. airbase in Iraq

Troops survey damage from missile strike on U.S. airbase in Iraq

The attack was retaliation for a U.S. drone strike in Baghdad on Jan. 3 that killed Qassem Soleimani, the commander of the elite Quds Force of Iran’s Revolutionary Guard.

READ MORE: U.S. rejects Iraq request for troop withdrawal plan

U.S. President Donald Trump and the U.S. military had said there were no casualties after the strike on the Ain al-Asad air base in western Iraq and a facility in its northern Kurdish region.

Story continues below advertisement

“While no U.S. service members were killed in the Jan. 8 Iranian attack on Al Asad air base, several were treated for concussion symptoms from the blast and are still being assessed,” Captain Bill Urban, spokesman for U.S. Central Command, said in a statement.

As a measure of caution, some service members were taken to U.S. facilities in Germany or Kuwait for “follow-on screening,” he added.

“When deemed fit for duty, the service members are expected to return to Iraq.”

As many as 1,500 Americans were deployed at the vast base deep in Iraq’s Anbar desert.

READ MORE: Canadian military resumes some operations in Iraq after U.S.-Iran conflict

Canadian forces stationed in Erbil, near one of the targeted military bases, were confirmed safe shortly after the Jan. 8 attack, when Chief of the Defence Staff General Jonathan Vance tweeted that all Canadian military personnel in Iraq are safe.

Story continues below advertisement

4:18Canadian commander in Iraq says ‘there has been a significant shift’ since Iran bombing

Canadian commander in Iraq says ‘there has been a significant shift’ since Iran bombing

— With files by Global News staff

© 2020 Reuters

Android, Apache, bioinformatics, bitcoin mining, computers, Employment, ethereum mining, Linux, Marketing, Microsoft, skype, smartphone, software, tablet, TV, Video, visualizations

Study finds blood pressure rises faster for women – msnNOW

January 16th, 2020


Duration: 01:48 16 hrs ago

New research finds women’s blood pressure begins to increase earlier and at a steeper rate than men’s. It’s a wake up call that could impact the way women are treated. Dr. Tara Narula joins the “CBS Evening News” to explain.

Uncategorized