Archive

Archive for February 19th, 2020

KC health officials monitoring nearly 10 people for coronavirus – KCTV Kansas City

February 19th, 2020

KANSAS CITY, MO (KCTV) – Local health officials say they are monitoring people in Kansas City for the coronavirus.

Dr. Rex Archer told the City Council Wednesday that nearly ten people are being monitored by the Kansas City Health Department.

These people don’t have the virus, but they are staying in their homes for 14 days. During this time, the health department checks in with them two times a day to see if they have a fever or any kind of symptoms. So far, the local people being monitored are still healthy.

“Everybody can take a deep breath… and relax. There are no cases of this coronavirus COVID-19 here in Kansas City,” Archer told the council.

KCTV5 News pressed for more information, like the specific number of people being monitored or if they traveled from China, but health officials would not disclose that information, saying that the situation is complicated right now.

Health officials did say they found out about these people from the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention list of “potentially exposed” individuals.

Archer explained that the department is trying to protect these people, especially because at this point they don’t have the virus, adding that officials don’t want to panic the public.

“With any outbreak, if you aren’t protecting privacy, then if you do have symptoms, they may be afraid to report them,” he said. “We have to balance protecting the individual’s privacy with protecting the public’s good.”

There are many factors at play in these decisions for officials, including different risk levels and criteria for monitoring.

The individuals under watch in Kansas City are considered “medium” risk. That means they’ve either had close contact with an infected person, lived in the same household as someone infected, or traveled from mainland China outside the most worrisome providence, Hubei Province, where Wuhan is located.

Around the world the virus has now killed more than 2,000 people, all but six of them in mainland China. It has infected more than 75,000 people.

Uncategorized

LA man charged with killing ex, prominent family therapist – World News – Castanet.net

February 19th, 2020

A Los Angeles man suspected of killing his ex-girlfriend, a prominent family therapist and the former fiancee of comedian Drew Carey, was charged Wednesday with her murder.

Dr. Amie Harwick died over the weekend after Gareth Pursehouse allegedly threw her over the third-floor balcony of her Hollywood Hills apartment, the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office said.

Pursehouse faces charges including murder and first-degree residential burglary with the special circumstance allegation of lying in wait, making him eligible for the death penalty, prosecutors said.

It wasn’t immediately known if Pursehouse, 41, has an attorney. He’s scheduled to be arraigned Thursday.

Police responding early Saturday to reports of a woman screaming discovered Harwick, 38, on the ground below the balcony, prosecutors said. She died at a hospital.

Officers found evidence of a struggle and a forced entry to the home, police said.

Detectives learned Harwick had recently expressed fear about an ex-boyfriend and had previously filed a restraining order against him, according to a police statement.

The restraining order had expired, police said.

Harwick’s website described her as a marriage and sex therapist. She appeared on TV and radio and wrote a book called “The New Sex Bible for Women.”

Harwick was engaged in 2018 to Carey, the “Price is Right” host and former sitcom star.

“I hope you’re lucky enough to have someone in your life that loves as much as she did,” Carey said on Twitter. CBS cancelled tapings of the game show for the week while he mourns.

Carey shared a link to an online petition calling for an update to domestic violence laws.

Pursehouse was initially arrested Saturday and posted $2 million bond. He was re-arrested Wednesday on a no bail warrant.

Android, Apache, bioinformatics, bitcoin mining, computers, Employment, ethereum mining, Linux, Marketing, Microsoft, skype, smartphone, software, tablet, TV, Video, visualizations

Flywheel to stop online classes and offer trade-in for Peloton bikes after settling lawsuit – TechCrunch

February 19th, 2020

China admits aerosol infection possible in coronavirus outbreak – Kyodo News Plus

February 19th, 2020

China’s health authorities have admitted that people may contract the pneumonia-causing COVID-19 coronavirus by inhaling small virus-containing particles floating in the air, or so-called aerosol infection.

Updated diagnostic and treatment guidelines published Wednesday say a person can be infected if they are “exposed to a high concentration of aerosol in a relatively closed environment for a long time.”

This is the sixth edition of the guidelines for treating patients of the new virus in China. The guidelines posit that the main routes of transmission are “droplets from the respiratory system” and “close contact.”

Previous versions of the guidelines said the possibility of aerosol infection had yet to be clearly established.

Aerosol infection is said to be prone to occur during medical procedures, such as when inserting a tube into the windpipe to ensure an open airway.

The possibility of aerosol infection would require greater efforts to prevent infections occurring inside hospitals.

The latest guidelines also mention for the first time treating critically ill patients whose symptoms are rapidly worsening with plasma transfused from patients who have recovered.

Amid mounting concern that the virus spread would take a further toll on the economy, China’s central bank cut its benchmark lending rate on Thursday in a bid to prevent disruptions to financial markets.

The People’s Bank of China said it lowered the one-year loan prime rate to 4.05 percent from 4.15 percent. It was the first time in three months for the bank to push down the key interest rate.

The death toll from the virus outbreak in China has reached 2,118, after the country’s health authorities said Thursday that they received reports of 114 new deaths on the mainland the previous day, 108 of them from the central province of Hubei.

The worst-hit province reported 349 new cases for Wednesday after removing 279 existing cases from its tally based on test results.

The last time Hubei reported a daily increase of under 1,000 cases was on Jan. 28.

The authorities said that across mainland China, 394 new cases were confirmed the previous day, bringing the total to over 74,000.

On Wednesday, Iranian state media reported the deaths of two elderly Iranians in central Iran after they became infected with the virus. The report marked the first confirmation of infection cases in the country, and reportedly the first deaths in the Middle East.

Elsewhere outside mainland China, Japan, Taiwan, France and the Philippines have each reported one death, while Hong Kong has seen two.


Related coverage:

Japan scholar removes videos blasting situation on virus-hit ship

IMF warns of economic spillover from virus, urges global cooperation

Diamond Princess viral infections occurred before quarantine


Uncategorized

Ex-Apple employee writes a book the company is apparently scared for you to read – BGR

February 19th, 2020

‘Utterly incompetent’: Trump names Grenell top intelligence chief – Al Jazeera English

February 19th, 2020

President Donald Trump on Wednesday named the current ambassador to Germany, Richard Grenell, as the director of national intelligence, immediately drawing criticism that the politically outspoken figure is unsuited to such a sensitive position.

Grenell was named acting director of national intelligence, a temporary status, which means he will not face a Senate confirmation process unless Trump puts him forward for a permanent position.

He takes over from Joseph Maguire, a retired admiral whose status as acting director was due to expire in March.

More:

Trump tweeted that Grenell “has represented our Country exceedingly well and I look forward to working with him. I would like to thank Joe Maguire for the wonderful job he has done, and we look forward to working with him closely, perhaps in another capacity within the Administration!”

The position, often referred to as the DNI, oversees the sprawling US espionage and intelligence apparatus and reports directly to the president.

Susan Hennessey, a fellow in national security law at Brookings Institution and a former attorney at the National Security Agency, wrote on social media: “This should frighten you. Not just brazen politicisation of intelligence, but also someone who is utterly incompetent in an important security role. The guardrails are gone.”

Grenell, an outspoken ambassador in Germany, will be the first openly gay member of the Trump cabinet.

He has caused a stir during his diplomatic service, acting as an enforcer of Trump’s policies on Iran, China and other issues where European capitals do not always see eye to eye with the White House.

Last year he faced calls for his expulsion, shortly after taking up his post in Germany, when he spoke up in support of right-wing politicians in Europe.

Trump, however, reportedly sees Grenell as a loyalist, helping him to reassert himself following acquittal in his historic impeachment trial in Congress and in advance of the November presidential election.

Samantha Powers, a UN ambassador under Barack Obama’s presidency, tweeted that the appointment of someone so openly political to the intelligence post “would be a travesty.”

Democratic Senator Mark Warner said in a statement that “the President has selected an individual without any intelligence experience to serve as the leader of the nation’s intelligence community in an acting capacity.”

Android, Apache, bioinformatics, bitcoin mining, computers, Employment, ethereum mining, Linux, Marketing, Microsoft, skype, smartphone, software, tablet, TV, Video, visualizations

Public buildings converted into medical facilities for coronavirus patients in Chinese city of Wuhan – South China Morning Post

February 19th, 2020

Subscribe to our YouTube channel for free here:
https://sc.mp/subscribe-youtube

Wuhan, the Chinese city at the epicentre of the coronavirus outbreak, is transforming more public buildings into temporary medical facilities for patients showing mild symptoms of coronavirus infection. Ten temporary hospitals being set up across the city will be able to provide an additional 11,000 beds for use in the city’s fight to contain the Covid-19 outbreak.

Follow us on:
Website: https://scmp.com
Facebook: https://facebook.com/scmp
Twitter: https://twitter.com/scmpnews
Instagram: https://instagram.com/scmpnews
Linkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/company/sout…

Android, Apache, bioinformatics, bitcoin mining, computers, Employment, ethereum mining, Linux, Marketing, Microsoft, skype, smartphone, software, tablet, TV, Video, visualizations

Criminal Minds boss breaks down that explosive series finale – Entertainment Weekly News

February 19th, 2020

Criminal Minds boss breaks down that explosive series finale | EW.com | EW.com

this link is to an external site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines.

Uncategorized

Harry and Meghan’s royal duties ending 31 March – BBC News

February 19th, 2020
Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex depart Canada HouseImage copyright Getty Images

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex will formally step down as senior royals from 31 March, a spokesperson for the couple has said.

They will no longer carry out duties on behalf of the Queen but arrangements will be reviewed after 12 months.

Earlier this year Harry and Meghan announced they would be stepping back from royal duties and working to become financially independent.

They will return to the UK for engagements at the end of this month.

The couple intend to split their time between the UK and North America and the spokesperson said they would be in the UK “regularly”.

They will attend six events in the UK in February and March, including the Commonwealth Day Service on 9 March.

Harry is also expected to attend the London Marathon in April in his capacity as patron, while the couple will also attend the Invictus Games in the Netherlands in May.

The couple will formally retain their HRH titles but will not use them. The use of the word “Royal” is under discussion, the spokesperson said, and an announcement on this will be made alongside the launch of the couple’s new non-profit organisation.

Harry and Meghan’s foundation applied to trademark the Sussex Royal brand – used on their website and social media – in June last year.

As the couple will no longer be undertaking engagements in support of the Queen, they will not be retaining an office at Buckingham Palace. Instead, from 1 April they will be represented via their UK foundation, the spokesperson said.

Harry will retain the ranks of Major, Lieutenant Commander, and Squadron Leader but his honorary military positions will be suspended. The roles will not be filled by anyone else during the 12-month review period.

Further details about the couple’s new charitable organisation will be released later this year but the spokesperson said the causes they supported, including the Commonwealth, community, youth empowerment and mental health, would remain the same.

Harry’s priorities also include the welfare of servicemen and women, conservation and HIV, while Meghan has focused on women’s empowerment, gender equality and education.

Image copyright PA Media
Image caption The couple and their son Archie spent time in Canada over Christmas

The duke and duchess announced earlier this year that they planned to step back as senior royals. Details of how this would work were then unveiled, following days of talks with the Queen and other senior royals.

The couple had previously spoken about how they had struggled under the media spotlight.

The couple have been in Canada with their son Archie for much of this year, after briefly returning to the UK in January following an extended six-week Christmas break on Vancouver Island.

Uncategorized

SZA Will No Longer Complete “Video Interviews Or Photos” – HotNewHipHop

February 19th, 2020

Rolling Stone just featured SZA alongside Megan Thee Stallion and Normani for their “Music’s Next Superstars” cover and social media can’t stop talking about the trio. Fans have flooded SZA‘s social media accounts to share their enthusiasm, but it seems the attention has prompted the singer to announce that she’s created new boundaries for herself in the media.

“Not doing any videos Interviews or photos for the rest of my life lol don’t ask .👍🏾,” SZA tweeted. “S/o Normani and meg tho . My sisters who I love very much and respect deeply . Honored to be apart of ANYTHING w the two of those BLACK QUEENS . 🥺❤️🙏🏾👑.” The singer added that the court of public opinion isn’t what fueled her decision.

“My anxiety has .03% to do w outside opinion,” SZA continued. “I was bullied all through high school I could care less . It’s my OWN THOUGHTS THAT HIT DIFFERENT 🥴.” A fan chimed in and wrote to SZA that they love her, but they were confused as to why it seemed as if “new celebs” were using anxiety as some sort of trend.

“Lmao new ? ‘Celebs’ been out here dying of addiction and depression for DECADES,” SZA plied.” Be glad Ppl are TALKING to eachother and sharing rather than hiding. Also errbody dying on tv an the government broke the 4th wall ..pretty sure everyone’s fed up rn lol.” Check out her tweets below.

Uncategorized