Archive

Archive for June 25th, 2020

Justin Bieber reportedly files $20 million defamation suit against sexual assault accusers – Page Six

June 25th, 2020

Justin Bieber is taking action after two social media users accused him of sexual assault in 2014 and 2015, respectively, allegations he’s denied, according to a new report.

Bieber, 26, has reportedly filed a massive lawsuit against the two for defamation over what he calls “malicious” claims, according to TMZ, suing for a total of $20 million — $10 million for each of the accusers.

The outlet obtained docs outlining the suit, which states that the singer has “indisputable documentary evidence” that proves the accusations to be “outrageous, fabricated lies.”

One of the accusers said that the pop star assaulted her while he was in Austin, Texas, visiting the South by Southwest (SXSW) festival in 2014.

The alleged assault occurred in a Four Seasons hotel room, but according to the outlet, the court docs state that Bieber never had a room at the hotel but was instead staying at a nearby rental property with then-girlfriend Selena Gomez.

The suit alleges that reports of Bieber eating at the hotel the day after the assault was said to have taken place are the basis of the fabrications, per TMZ.

The second accuser claims Bieber assaulted her in New York City in 2015 when the singer was in town for the Met Gala.

Per the outlet, the suit states that the accuser is a superfan who often waits outside of Bieber’s hotels and the like, often seeking attention from him. The docs also claim that she admitted on Twitter to never having met Bieber after the date of the alleged assault.

Bieber attended the Met Gala and went to a private afterparty, which the docs claim can be proved by photo evidence.

According to TMZ, the suit even alleges that Bieber believes the two accusers are working together to damage his reputation, or may even be the same person operating multiple Twitter accounts.

Reps for Bieber did not immediately respond to Fox News’ request for comment.

Uncategorized

Texas man with coronavirus infects 17 relatives at surprise birthday party – Fox News

June 25th, 2020

A family in North Texas was in for more than one surprise when they discovered a nephew had unknowingly infected 17 of them with the new coronavirus at a recent birthday party.

The man, who later tested positive for COVID-19, interacted with seven others at a May 30 gathering before those family members interacted with 10 more, further spreading the virus

Now 18 so far have contracted the illness, including two children, four seniors and a cancer patient.

COVID SURGE: US SEES HIGHEST NUMBER OF NEW CORONAVIRUS CASES SINCE APRIL

Ron Barbosa, the man’s uncle, didn’t attend the party but told ABC8 that he’s keeping track of everyone who did and has tested positive. He said the nephew — who hosted the event and played golf with family beforehand — brushed off a cough as a result of working in construction.

“It wasn’t that long. It was only a couple of hours,” Barbosa, a volunteer EMT, said of the party. “But during that brief time, somehow the other 18 family members are now infected.”

NC LIEUTENANT GOVERNOR WARNS HE MAY SUE GOVERNOR OVER CORONAVIRUS RESPONSE

Three of those with the illness are still in the hospital: Barbosa’s 80-year-old parents and his sister with breast cancer. His dad is in the ICU on life support and close to needing a ventilator.

The news comes as COVID-19 cases surge in new hotspots across the country, including Texas, which just added 55,125 cases to its near-132,000 total. Around 2,207 people have died.

Gov. Greg Abbott announced Thursday that the state would pause its planned reopening while still allowing for some activity under specified health guidelines and safety practices, explaining in a statement that “the last thing we want to do as a state is [to] go backwards.”

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

Uncategorized

Justin Bieber sues 2 Twitter users accusing him of sexual assault for defamation in $20 million suit: report – Fox News

June 25th, 2020

Justin Bieber is taking action after two social media users accused him of sexual assault in 2014 and 2015, respectively, allegations he’s denied, according to a new report.

Bieber, 26, has reportedly filed a massive lawsuit against the two for defamation over what he calls “malicious” claims, according to TMZ, suing for a total of $20 million — $10 million for each of the accusers.

The outlet obtained docs outlining the suit, which states that the singer has “indisputable documentary evidence” that proves the accusations to be “outrageous, fabricated lies.”

JUSSIE SMOLLETT’S ALLEGED ATTACKERS NOW SAY THEY WILL TESTIFY: WE WILL ‘CONTINUE TO TELL THE TRUTH

Justin Bieber attends the Premiere of YouTube Original's 'Justin Bieber: Seasons' at Regency Bruin Theatre on January 27, 2020 in Los Angeles, Calif. (Photo by Axelle/Bauer-Griffin/FilmMagic)

Justin Bieber attends the Premiere of YouTube Original’s ‘Justin Bieber: Seasons’ at Regency Bruin Theatre on January 27, 2020 in Los Angeles, Calif. (Photo by Axelle/Bauer-Griffin/FilmMagic) (Axelle/Bauer-Griffin/FilmMagic via Getty Images)

One of the accusers said that the pop star assaulted her while he was in Austin, Texas, visiting the South by Southwest (SXSW) festival in 2014.

The alleged assault occurred in a Four Seasons hotel room, but according to the outlet, the court docs state that Bieber never had a room at the hotel but was instead staying at a nearby rental property with then-girlfriend Selena Gomez.

BEYONCÉ FANS SLAM BRITNEY SPEARS FOR CALLING HERSELF ‘QUEEN B’: ‘YOU COULD NEVER!’

The suit alleges that reports of Bieber eating at the hotel the day after the assault was said to have taken place are the basis of the fabrications, per TMZ.

The second accuser claims Bieber assaulted her in New York City in 2015 when the singer was in town for the Met Gala.

Per the outlet, the suit states that the accuser is a superfan who often waits outside of Bieber’s hotels and the like, often seeking attention from him. The docs also claim that she admitted on Twitter to never having met Bieber after the date of the alleged assault.

Bieber attended the Met Gala and went to a private afterparty, which the docs claim can be proved by photo evidence.

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

According to TMZ, the suit even alleges that Bieber believes the two accusers are working together to damage his reputation, or may even be the same person operating multiple Twitter accounts.

Reps for Bieber did not immediately respond to Fox News’ request for comment.

Uncategorized

Former Intel engineer sheds light on Apple’s decision to design its own chips – BGR

June 25th, 2020

Shady TikTok Caught Snooping iPhone Clipboard Data Via iOS 14 Privacy Feature – Hot Hardware

June 25th, 2020

Study: Blood type may factor in COVID-19 risk, severity of symptoms – fox4kc.com

June 25th, 2020

A new study suggests that your blood type may be tied to your risk of contracting COVID-19 and the severity of your symptoms.

The study, published in the New England Journal of Medicine, compared 1,900 people undergoing treatment for severe COVID-19 and respiratory failure at seven medical centers in Italy and Spain to 1,200 healthy blood donors from the same population groups.

Researchers combed through genetic codes looking for similarities. One similarity they found among the ill patients was a DNA cluster which determines blood types. This prompted further research into which specific blood types were present in the majority of severe coronavirus cases in the sample population.

Results indicated that people with Type A blood had a 45% higher risk of infection than those with other blood types.

Similarly, researchers identified a “protective effect” in people with Type O blood, saying they were only two-thirds as likely to become infected.

The results hinge from a DNA cluster observed at a specific chromosome that scientists believe is relevant to COVID-19 infection.

However, researchers state that this study cannot accurately name a causative gene based on its presented evidence. Scientists cite time constraints and confounding variables that were not controlled for, such as underlying cardiovascular and metabolic conditions, as reasons for potential inaccuracies.

Meanwhile, Roy Silverstein, a hematologist at the Medical College of Wisconsin, told MarketWatch that the aforementioned DNA cluster can be found in other parts of the body. He says blood types may not totally predict an individual’s risk of contracting the coronavirus. 

“Those who are not Type A should not interpret this study to mean that they can let their guard down,” Silverstein reportedly said. “Similarly, the data are not yet convincing enough to recommend that those with Type A need to do even more than what is recommended.”

Scientists say further research must still be conducted into these findings. They remind citizens that while this study shows correlation between blood types and severity of illness, it does not necessarily indicate causation.

“Everyone needs to pay attention to COVID-19 prevention by following well-accepted guidelines related to social distancing, face covering, hand-washing, and self-isolation and testing in the setting of possible COVID-related symptoms,” Silverstein added.

Uncategorized

Coronavirus caseload in Canada increases by 380 while Atlantic provinces see no new cases – Globalnews.ca

June 25th, 2020

Canada reported nearly 400 coronavirus cases and 20 COVID-19-related deaths in the last 24 hours.

The new numbers bring the national tally to more than 102,600 confirmed cases of COVID-19 — the bulk of them in Ontario and Quebec — and a death toll of 8,504.

Read more: How many Canadians have the new coronavirus? Total number of confirmed cases by region

More than 65,000 people are considered recovered across the country, as active cases number a little over 28,500.

Ontario saw 189 new cases and 10 fatalities on Thursday. The province now has more than 34,000 cases, including more than 2,600 deaths and close to 30,000 recoveries.

Ontario Premier Doug Ford said Thursday he doesn’t want to see the Canada-U.S. border reopened once the current closure expires on July 21.

Story continues below advertisement

Read more: Alberta COVID-19 vaccine advancing to human testing

“You see what’s happening down in the states, you look at Florida, you look at Texas, Arizona, California — I don’t want to be those states,” he said. Earlier this week, a number of states set single-day records for COVID-19 cases.

Quebec reported 142 new cases on Thursday — more than double the 53 cases reported a day earlier — bringing its total to more than 55,000 cases. The province also recorded six new deaths in the past 24 hours, leaving its death toll at just under 5,500 fatalities.

4:30U.S. insurance industry spends big on discrediting Canadian health care: advocate

U.S. insurance industry spends big on discrediting Canadian health care: advocate

This week, Quebec took a step towards becoming the only province to start weekly COVID-19 updates as of July 2, instead of daily ones.

Story continues below advertisement

Ontario and Quebec, the country’s most populous provinces, have consistently been the regions reporting the most number of cases and deaths for months, with numbers trending downward in recent weeks.

[ Sign up for our Health IQ newsletter for the latest coronavirus updates ]

Alberta remains a distant third in terms of overall caseload and death toll in Canada, with a little more than 7,800 cases of COVID-19 and 154 deaths so far. On Thursday, the province reported 26 new cases and one new death.

Read more: Can I go to another province? The latest coronavirus travel restrictions, by region

British Columbia reported 19 lab-confirmed cases and two new deaths. One of the new cases is a public school teacher — the second such case connected to schools since B.C. reopened classrooms on June 1. The province currently has nearly 2,900 cases and 173 deaths.

Saskatchewan saw three new cases, for a total of 759 cases. It also reported its highest hospitalization rate for COVID-19 since May, with nine people in hospital. Thirteen people have died since the pandemic began.

3:19Manitoba plans to resume in-class learning in September

Manitoba plans to resume in-class learning in September

Manitoba’s curve has remained relatively flat for a while now, with just one new case reported Thursday. The province has seen 305 cases in total and seven deaths since the pandemic began. It is now examining how schools might be able to reopen in September.

Story continues below advertisement

Atlantic provinces

All four Atlantic provinces had no new cases or deaths to report on Thursday.

As of July 3, travel restrictions in the region were set to ease, allowing interprovincial travel between all four Atlantic provinces without self-isolation.

Nova Scotia is set to announce further reopening measures on Friday. It has seen no new cases for 16 days straight, and currently has zero active cases. More than 60 people have died in the province, which has seen more than 1,000 cases since the pandemic began.

Read more: Antibodies from COVID-19 infection only last a few months: study

New Brunswick has seen 149 of 165 cases recover from the virus, while two people have died. Newfoundland and Labrador has no active cases. Three people have died out of 261 cases.

Prince Edward Island, the Northwest Territories and the Yukon have seen all their cases resolved for some weeks now. Nunavut remains the only region in Canada with no confirmed case of COVID-19 reported so far.

Numbers tallied by Johns Hopkins University show the coronavirus has resulted in more than 9.5 million cases around the world and more than 486,000 deaths, with the highest caseload and death toll in the U.S. followed by Brazil.

Story continues below advertisement

— With files by The Canadian Press, Global News staff

© 2020 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Android, Apache, bioinformatics, bitcoin mining, computers, Employment, ethereum mining, Linux, Marketing, Microsoft, skype, smartphone, software, tablet, TV, Video, visualizations

Here’s a first look at the new Control Center and widgets on macOS Big Sur – 9to5Mac

June 25th, 2020

Pregnant women with COVID-19 are 5 times more likely to be hospitalized – USA TODAY

June 25th, 2020

Pregnant women may be at increased risk for severe illness from COVID-19 compared with non-pregnant women, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Thursday, breaking from earlier guidance that found no difference in risk between the two groups.

The good news is that pregnant women who are infected with COVID-19 aren’t at any greater risk of death than women who aren’t pregnant, said Dr. Dana Meaney-Delman, a COVID-19 deputy incident manager with the CDC. 

The worse news is that infected pregnant women are more likely to be hospitalized and are at increased risk for ICU admission and to require mechanical ventilation, according to a CDC study of thousands of women in the U.S. from January to June.

Among women with COVID-19, about 32% of pregnant women were reported to have been hospitalized, compared with about 6% of nonpregnant women, the study found.

The CDC did not have the reason people were admitted to the hospital, so it could simply be women were going into labor and were entering the hospital to deliver, said Dr. Richard Beigi, president of the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center’s Magee-Womens Hospital in Pittsburg, Pennsylvania.

“In the United States, pregnancy is the number one reason for hospital admission,” he said. “What that means to me is they’re probably picking up people for whom it’s just time to deliver.”

So far, there’s no data on how a COVID-19 infection affects a woman’s pregnancy or the health outcomes of their babies, Meaney-Delman said.

“Pregnancy is nine months,” Meaney-Delman noted, so most women who’ve become pregnant since the coronavirus began to circulate widely in the U.S. haven’t yet given birth. 

There is concern that a COVID-19 infection could bring on preterm labor or premature birth, but information is still being collected, she said.

Several international studies seem to show no risk to babies, said Beigi.

“It does not appear to be a severe neonatal problem in the overwhelming majority of cases. Our local experience corroborates that,” he said. 

The CDC findings are similar to those from a recent study in Sweden, which found that pregnant women with COVID-19 were five times more likely to be admitted to the ICU and four times more like to receive mechanical ventilation than were nonpregnant women, according to the study.

Pregnant women:As states reopen, medical experts recommend staying vigilant against COVID-19

The CDC study recommended that pregnant women not skip prenatal care appointments. They should also limit interactions with other people as much as possible, take precautions to prevent getting COVID-19 when interacting with others, have at least a 30-day supply of medicines, and talk with their health care provider about how to stay healthy during the COVID-19 pandemic.

The CDC has previously noted that pregnant women are at greater risk of getting sick from other respiratory viruses than people who are not pregnant but said that there is “no data” showing that COVID-19 affects pregnant women differently from others.

Coronavirus updates:US daily cases hit record levels since April; Kentucky Derby will have fans

Toward the beginning of the pandemic, pregnant women were initially grouped with other at-risk groups, such as the elderly and those with chronic health conditions, but that changed when it became clear neither they nor their fetuses were seriously affected by COVID-19.

More on coronavirus, pregnancy and birth:

Uncategorized

TikTok App to Stop Accessing User Clipboards After Being Caught in the Act by iOS 14 – MacRumors

June 25th, 2020