Archive

Archive for September 3rd, 2020

No, you don’t need PCIe 4.0 for the new GeForce RTX 3090 graphics card – TweakTown

September 3rd, 2020

Batman filming paused after Robert Pattinson ‘tests positive for coronavirus’ – BBC News

September 3rd, 2020
robert-pattinson.Image copyright AFP/Getty Images
Image caption Vanity Fair said actor Robert Pattinson has tested positive for coronavirus – days after shooting resumed

Filming for The Batman has been suspended again, days after it resumed following the coronavirus lockdown.

The pause in filming, confirmed by Warner Bros, is because lead actor Robert Pattinson has tested positive for the virus, according to US media.

Warner Bros said a member of the production team was self-isolating but it did not say who.

Filming began in Glasgow earlier this year but was halted due to the pandemic.

A spokeswoman for the studios said: “A member of The Batman production has tested positive for Covid-19, and is isolating in accordance with established protocols. Filming is temporarily paused.”

Vanity Fair said British actor Pattinson, 34, caught the virus days after shooting resumed near London, after a six-month delay to filming.

Media playback is unsupported on your device

Media captionBatman was seen with film crews at Glasgow’s Necropolis cemetery

The Batman was initially due for release in June 2021 but has been delayed to October 2021.

In the latest film, directed by Matt Reeves, Twilight star Pattinson follows in the footsteps of Christian Bale, Ben Affleck, Michael Keaton and George Clooney in playing the Gotham City superhero.

Pattinson, who also co-stars in the current cinema hit Tenet, has not commented on the reports.

Uncategorized

mmWave 5G Network Will be Exclusive to iPhone 12 Pro Max, Will Launch in Only Three Countries – Wccftech

September 3rd, 2020

We Finally Have Another Life-Saving Medication For The Sickest COVID-19 Patients – ScienceAlert

September 3rd, 2020

Commonly available anti-inflammatory drugs have been found to reduce the mortality rate of the sickest COVID-19 patients by 20 percent, researchers said on Thursday.

Professor Anthony Gordon, of Imperial College London, was part of a British team investigating the effectiveness of hydrocortisone on people on ventilators in intensive care.

The results of the UK study were compared with those of six others around the world also looking at whether similar corticosteroid drugs could be used in treatment.

“Taking the data from all the seven trials combined, in the patients who weren’t treated with steroids, about 40 percent died from this severe COVID-19,” Gordon told AFP.

“In the groups that were given the various steroids, 32 percent, roughly, died, so that’s a 20 percent reduction in the risk…

“That means if you treat 100 patients giving them steroids, you would expect to save eight lives, which is really impressive to see a result like that.”

The head of Britain’s state-run National Health Service in England, Simon Stevens, called it a “further weapon in the armoury in the worldwide fight against COVID-19”.

“Just as we did with dexamethasone, the NHS will now take immediate action to ensure that patients who could benefit from treatment with hydrocortisone do so,” he added.

Gordon, who combines research with work as a hospital intensive care specialist, said the results were “clear evidence” that steroids help the most severely ill patients.

But he stressed that the steroids, which are often found in over-the-counter medications, should not be used for prevention of COVID-19 or as a home remedy for viral infections.

Some 403 patients at 88 hospitals in the UK study received hydrocortisone via an intravenous drip rather than in pill form, he said.

The similar effectiveness of different corticosteroids could help in the treatment of the disease around the world, alleviating pressure on supply chains, he added.

“Clinicians may be more familiar using one or more of these drugs… Having this choice, a greater drug supply, is good news.”

The results of a UK trial of dexamethasone were published in July, showing that mortality rates of patients with COVID-19 were reduced by just under a third.

Among those on ventilators, the death rate for patients on the anti-inflammatory drug was 29.3 percent compared with 41.4 percent for those without.

Gordon said that although the latest results were “consistent” and “encouraging”, further treatments were still needed for the coronavirus.

© Agence France-Presse

Uncategorized

Over 500 new coronavirus cases bring Canada’s total past 130,000 – Global News

September 3rd, 2020

Provincial health officials announced 569 new coronavirus cases on Thursday, bringing the national total to 130,412.

The number of COVID-19 fatalities rose by six on Thursday. Overall, the pandemic has claimed 9,141 lives in Canada this year.

Read more: Ontario reports 132 new coronavirus cases, 0 deaths; total cases at 42,686

However, most coronavirus patients — about 88 per cent — have recovered, according to figures released by provincial and territorial governments.

Across the country, more than 6.6 million tests have been conducted since January.

Story continues below advertisement

Among the provinces, Quebec saw the highest jump in new diagnoses on Thursday, with 187 additional cases.

Three deaths were also reported, though they occurred sometime before Aug. 27.

Overall, the province has been hardest hit by far in terms of overall cases and deaths, with 62,933 people diagnosed with the illness and 5,767 fatalities attributed to the disease.

Read more: ‘The trend is not good,’ Legault says as Quebec sees jump in coronavirus cases

With cases increasing in recent weeks, Premier François Legault called on Quebecers to be more vigilant to stave off a possible second wave.

“The trend is not good,” he said.

[ Sign up for our Health IQ newsletter for the latest coronavirus updates ]

Ontario announced fewer new cases than Quebec, but has been reporting triple-digit increases for more than a week.

On Thursday, the province said 132 people had been newly diagnosed with COVID-19. Overall, 42,686 cases have been diagnosed in Ontario.

There were no deaths announced, though Ontario has suffered the second-highest number of fatal cases of the disease among the provinces, at 2,812.

Alberta added 130 cases on Thursday, bringing its total to 14,310.

Story continues below advertisement

Read more: COVID Alert app wraps first month with 2.2M downloads, 90 infection reports

Overall, 242 Albertans have died from COVID-19.

In B.C., the number of coronavirus cases surpassed 6,000 with the announcement of 89 new cases on Thursday. The province says 5,960 of its cases are were lab-confirmed, while the rest are considered epidemiologically linked.

One other person succumbed to the illness, bringing the death toll to 210.

Read more: B.C. reports one death and 89 new COVID-19 cases; total cases now top 6,000

The number of cases in the province has grown rapidly — 2,000 cases were added in the last two weeks.

Manitoba, which has the fewest number of cases among the prairie provinces, reported 20 new COVID-19 diagnoses. The total stands at 1,246.

Two more Manitobans have died of the illness, bringing the total to 16. The province’s chief public health officer said the deaths of the two senior women are related to an outbreak at a care home in Steinbach.

3:14Coronavirus: Federal, provincial governments announce $147 million for childcare during COVID-19 outbreak

Coronavirus: Federal, provincial governments announce $147 million for childcare during COVID-19 outbreak

Saskatchewan saw its first double-digit increase in new cases in three weeks. The provincial case total rose by 10, six of which are in the Saskatoon region.

Story continues below advertisement

The cumulative case total stands at 1,634, with 24 COVID-19-related deaths.

Across Atlantic Canada, just one province reported new coronavirus cases.

P.E.I. announced two new diagnoses, bringing its total to 46.

After launching the COVID-19 Alert app in Ontario in July, the federal government announced Thursday that Newfoundland and Labrador residents would also be able to report their diagnoses through the platform.

The province’s total stands at 269 cases. Just one remains active, and three people in the province have lost their lives to the pandemic.

2:02A look at how Nova Scotia schools are preparing to reopen

A look at how Nova Scotia schools are preparing to reopen

New Brunswick has diagnosed 192 cases and confirmed two deaths. Nova Scotia is the hardest-hit province in the region, with 1,085 cases and 65 deaths.

Story continues below advertisement

There have only been 20 coronavirus cases in Canada’s North, all of which are resolved.

Yukon has had 15 in total, while the other five were in Northwest Territories.

Read more: Coronavirus, allergies or a cold? How to know if your child should stay home from school

No cases have been diagnosed in Nunavut so far.

Around the world, the virus is continuing to spread rapidly.

A database maintained by Johns Hopkins University shows more than 26 million people have been diagnosed, and over 865,000 people have succumbed to the illness globally.

— With files from Simon Little, Shane Gibson, Thomas Piller and Kalina Laframboise, Global News

© 2020 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Android, Apache, bioinformatics, bitcoin mining, computers, Employment, ethereum mining, Linux, Marketing, Microsoft, skype, smartphone, software, tablet, TV, Video, visualizations

New COVID-19 modelling suggests B.C. at ‘precipice,’ as public asked to reduce contacts – CTV News Vancouver

September 3rd, 2020

VANCOUVER — Health officials have asked British Columbians to limit their social interactions this weekend after sharing new COVID-19 modelling that suggests the province is at a “precipice.”

The data presented by provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry on Thursday indicates B.C. residents can bend the province’s epidemiological curve back down by reducing their interpersonal connections to 50 per cent of normal.

Officials estimate the public is currently hovering around 65 to 70 per cent of the connections they had before the pandemic.

“We’re at that limit – we’re at that precipice, if you will – where we need to take the actions to ensure that we can move forward in the fall and keep our curve low,” Henry said.

Modelling scenarios

Officials went so far as to recommend people stay within their household bubble – the same groups B.C. residents bunkered down with during the early months of the crisis – at least for the Labour Day long weekend.

“This weekend in particular, choose to go small. Choose to spend time with your household bubble instead of a group of strangers,” Henry said. “Let’s make sure this Labour Day long weekend, we are united in a singular focus to continue to stop those chains of transmission and bring our curve back down.”

While B.C. has seen a concerning surge in cases since early July, the latest modelling shows the province’s number of COVID-19 cases and deaths per million residents remains low compared to many countries and several other Canadian provinces, including Quebec, Ontario and Alberta.

Deaths per million residents

And while there are more cases identified per day on average than there were back in March, Henry said there are probably fewer cases going undetected in the community thanks to increased testing.

“Even though we have higher numbers of cases, we are finding and testing more people than we were in March who had this illness, so we don’t believe the number of people who are out there who aren’t detected is as high as it was when our testing was limited,” she said.

B.C. has tested 363,918 specimens since the start of the pandemic, including 28,025 last week alone.

Henry noted that only 2.1 per cent of the tests conducted from Aug. 23 to 29 came back positive, indicating most of the people who suffer cold symptoms are not infected with the coronavirus. People are still urged to get tested if they feel sick, and can determine whether they require a test using the province’s online self-assessment tool.

With young people returning to school this month, and many people returning to their jobs, health officials asked British Columbians to rethink the size of their bubbles. That’s especially important for families that have face-to-face contact with older relatives, who are more vulnerable to the most severe symptoms of COVID-19.

“If you’re returning to work, then you need to reduce your contacts in other areas. We need to find that personal balance, and that will mean sacrifice for some of us in some areas of our life,” Henry said.

Crucially, the government said people need to avoid high-risk behaviours like mingling with strangers. Part of the modelling shed light on where transmission is happening now compared to in the early months of the pandemic.

Prior to May 19, most infections happened in households, health-care facilities and workplaces. By late June, there was significantly more transmission in private parties, restaurants, bars and in the community.

Modelling

“These are not exact, but what they do tell us is there’s no single measure that can make a difference in all of these settings,” Henry said.

Officials stressed that people have to continue following the precautions that are proven to work, and which helped B.C. tame its first wave of the pandemic. That means washing hands regularly, not touching your face, keeping your bubble small and consistent, maintaining distance from others when it’s possible, and wearing a mask when it’s not.

B.C. Health Minister Adrian Dix urged people to use the long weekend to “recommit” to the effort to stop the spread of the virus – and to buckle in for the long haul.

“We know that he COVID-19 pandemic will be with us not just for months to come but in the year to come – and indeed perhaps in the years to come,” he said. “We have to continue to be all in.”

Android, Apache, bioinformatics, bitcoin mining, computers, Employment, ethereum mining, Linux, Marketing, Microsoft, skype, smartphone, software, tablet, TV, Video, visualizations

All the new Super Mario games coming to the Nintendo Switch – Business Insider – Business Insider

September 3rd, 2020

Fauci says coronavirus vaccine won’t be distributed unless it’s based on ‘hard data’ – NBC News

September 3rd, 2020

Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, said Thursday that he believes federal regulators will allow a coronavirus vaccine to be distributed this fall only if it’s based on science and “hard data.”

Fauci made the assessment after the disclosure of an Aug. 27 letter from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention that told states to prepare for the “large-scale” distribution of a vaccine by Nov. 1, two days before the presidential election.

Fauci had previously said he believed a vaccine would likely be developed by the end of the year.

Asked Thursday if he worried the process had become too political, Fauci said there might be a perception of outside influence, “but I don’t see that as being something that’s going to be practically playing out,” he said.

Regulators at the Food and Drug Administration and experts at the independent Data and Safety Monitoring Board are “very, very committed to making sure that science prevails and not politics,” he said.

Sept. 3, 202001:55

In an interview with National Public Radio Thursday, Dr. Moncef Slaoui, who’s leading Operation Warp Speed, the White House effort to fast-track vaccine development, said it was unlikely that distribution would reach the hundreds of millions of doses suggested in the CDC letter by fall.

“There is a very, very low chance that the trials that are running as we speak could read before the end of October,” Slaoui told NPR. “And therefore, there could be — if all other conditions required for an Emergency Use Authorization are met — an approval. I think it’s extremely unlikely, but not impossible.”

Because such distribution is not impossible, he added, preparing states is “the right thing to do.”

Slaoui, a former executive at GlaxoSmithKline, told NPR that he learned about the CDC letter “on the news.”

He estimated that there could be enough doses to immunize between 20 million to 25 million people by the end of the year. Immunizing the rest of the country would likely take until the middle of 2021, he told NPR.

The CDC letter to governors told them to prepare for a “massive” effort to build the necessary infrastructure to distribute hundreds of millions of doses to local health departments and medical facilities across the country.

Earlier this week, FDA Commissioner Stephen Hahn told The Financial Times that the department may give a developer federal approval before rigorous Phase 3 clinical trials are completed.

“We may find that appropriate,” he told the newspaper in a story published Sunday. “We may find that inappropriate. We will make a determination.”

But speaking to NPR, Slaoui said a vaccine “will not be introduced before the clinical trials are completed.”

“The requirements are very high, and there is no intent to file before the demonstration of efficacy and safety in the phase three trials,” he said.

Uncategorized

T-Mobile’s LG Velvet has a different processor inside, and it’s an interesting choice – The Verge

September 3rd, 2020

Coronavirus updates: 504 cases, 4 deaths; 4 students positive among quarantined dorms at USU – KSL.com

September 3rd, 2020

20 active cases of COVID-19 in Jordan School District

The Jordan School District sent a letter to parents Thursday clarifying the impact of COVID-19 on district schools, employees and students after the first two weeks of the school year.

The district identified 20 active cases of COVID-19, including 19 students, according to the letter obtained by KSL. Four classes have been quarantined, as authorized by the school board.

The district counts more than 56,000 students and 6,000 employees, as well as more than 10,000 different classes at its area schools, including high schools at Bingham, Copper Hills, Herriman, Mountain Ridge, Riverton, West Jordan, Valley and Southpointe adult high school, as well as the district’s applied technology center.

Jordan schools returned to class Aug. 24.

— Sean Walker, KSL.com

Uncategorized